‘Tis the season
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:40:58 AM
Some of the greatest memories of my childhood are sitting around the tree, singing along to Barbara Streisand’s Christmas album (mom’s demands, of course) and stringing (read: eating) popcorn and cranberries with my sisters and brother. Aside from the holidays, however, I never thought to combine these two flavors. That was, until yesterday.
Perhaps it was a subconscious craving for the flavors of winter to counteract the intense heatwave up in here, but for some reason I was just completely inspired to immerse myself in a bowl of holiday bliss.
I made protein ice cream with….
- vanilla protein powder (I ordered this off of amazon a few weeks ago. It’s delicious and cheap and I need to order more. That’s a personal note, FYI)
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond breeze
- a tbsp or so of cranberry juice
- handful of frozen cranberries
- xanthan/guar gums
- cinnamon and sweetener to taste
topped with the best kettle corn in the world and crushed grahams.
’tis the season
- Are there any foods that remind you or specific memories? For me there’s not so many foods that spark memories in me, but moreso songs. Whenever I hear Get Low, for instance, I’m always brought back to my middle school dances circa 2004. My eyes adorned with half a stick of eyeliner, my lips coated with strawberry watermelon lipsmackers, and rocking my favorite shirt from Limited Too. I’ll spare you the pictures, as I’d prefer to salvage some of my dignity.
- What are your favorite holiday treats? At the risk of being unoriginal, I adore gingerbread. After all, y’all know how much I love me some Ginger
Speaking of which, I’m off to spend the night with my little red haired wonder. Our work schedules have been crazy lately and unfortunately it’s really been jeopardizing our bonding time. Me no likey:(
Pity party over. Bye!
For more, see www.pbandjenny.com